Spending time outdoors is a great way to relax and unwind in the summer. With more hours of daylight and a less structured schedule, an evening meal on the deck or patio is a welcome change. Whether you have your heart set on a private retreat or an entertainer’s paradise, a backyard makeover doesn’t have to be costly or time-consuming to be luxurious. Here are a few ideas to help you transform your space into a beautiful outdoor oasis.
- Start with a clean slate. You may need to clear out old furniture, rugs, and dead plants. Pollen, dirt, and grime have likely built up on the surfaces so it’s essential to do a thorough cleaning once your space is empty. Have the professionals at Outback GutterVac power wash your deck, patio, and sidewalks for a fresh start. An inviting space is a clean space!
- Create a covered area. The summer sun is powerful and it’s nice to have a shaded area available for relaxing, eating, and entertaining. A covered deck, pergola, or large sunshade will do the trick in the heat of the day.
- Design for comfort and functionality. Create a sitting area to include an outdoor rug, couch, and chairs for morning coffee or an evening glass of wine. Arrange the dining table and chairs in another area for family meals and dinner parties. Invest in outdoor furniture and pillows that are durable and aesthetically pleasing.
- Add greenery. Potted plants provide color, decor, and privacy in an outdoor space. Vary the height and types of plants for a unique look.
- Upgrade your grill or invest in an outdoor kitchen. Create an area for outdoor cooking that is accessible, but not too close to entertaining spaces. Include a countertop or a mobile surface for prepping food.
- Add lighting. Mood lighting around the pergola, recessed lighting on the covered deck, and direct lighting in work areas will make a big difference in the feel and functionality of the space.
- Use water features. Flowing water has a calming effect. Add a fountain or manmade stream for visual interest and relaxation.